HI there, I'm Adam. After reading several papers from CMU, especially from Kiryong Ha, I am a little confused about how to connect cloud to the cloudlet in practice.
At first, please let me double-check some definitions I understand in cloudlet model
Please correct me if I was wrong.
- Cloud: the cloud platform which provides cloud instances or clusters, such as OpenStack, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure.
- cloudlet: an additional tier in the model. In the repository, it is an extension of OpenStack.
Reasons why confused
When I installed everything from elijah-openstack, I thought "cloud" here should be OpenStack and "cloudlet" should be the extension. The elijah-openstack is the combination of "cloud" and "cloudlet" parts.. However after reading more papers, I felt like that the elijah-openstack itself is the solely "cloudlet"
Go back to the main question
- how to connect cloudtet to the cloudlet in practice? Spefically, I have "cloudlet" on my machine,
how to reproduce the "cloud-cloudlet-device" model?
I have so many words to say but I don't want to dump tons of message to bother you. My current idea is following:
- Use one EC2 instance(e.g. Ubuntu server) as my "cloud"
- Use my local machine as cloudlet
- Build some applications on another machine so that it can send requests to cloudlet or cloud to do some computing. I also can observe the performance in this way.
Am I right? Is the right way to use? Is there more paper for me to help me understand the how to reproduce them?
Some papers I've read
- OpenStack++ for Cloudlet Deployment
- The Impact of Mobile Multimedia Applications on Data Center Consolidation
- The Case for VM-Based Cloudlets in Mobile Computing
Appreciate your patience and time so much!